I just got home from a lunch with my son. The only reason we out to lunch was because we were meeting some friends. They went to the restaurant on the other side of town. Then I got home and realized I totally forgot the awards breakfast at school this morning for my other son. So as I fight the urge to spiral into the "I am the worst mother for forgetting" and the "If only I was more organized, this wouldn't happen" mode, I need to stop and reflect. Reflect on the moments and the unwrappings.
I am homeschooling my son for the first time this year. It is a joy to have moments alone with him such as our lunch today. He is 12 and I look forward to my days spent with him. My other children are thriving at their school. They have teachers who love them and who are there to really teach. When my kids were little I read to them all the time. I bought them fun little workbooks and we played a lot of board games. I always felt I should have done more, but looking back now, I know that the games we played and the time we spent reading together were blessings and that my children learned and are the students they are today because of that time. I was so blessed to be able to stay at home their whole lives. Not everyone has that privilege-and now more than ever I see it for what it is-a job, a way of life but also a privilege. I would do some things different, I would try to enjoy the stage more when my kids were 5 and under (all 4 fell in that category at the same time by the way) but God is faithful to use the little things I did, to make them the boys and girls they are today. Don't stop now doing the little things. Don't stop now looking for the joys. Now is the time to and be thankful. I am here when they come home from school. Yes, I forgot the awards breakfast but at least I had the option to be able to go. Grateful that in the midst of my imperfection, He continues to shine.
I forgot to show up at a program at my son's school last year. When I went to pick him up, his teachers said "Where were you? He was asking for you!" and my heart broke into a million pieces. I simply forgot - completely forgot about it. It was last year and I still think of it.
ReplyDeleteAnd it is these small, innocent failures (that aren't even really failures) that can eat us up. But what you do here, seeing the gifts and the blessings - I think it's healing. So glad you linked up.
This was such a blessing to read this post today...especially your encouragement to keep doing the little things and to take time to be thankful.
ReplyDelete