After reading a book this summer called Crazy Love by Francis Chan, I began to pray for God to give me an opportunity to volunteer outside of my comfort zone. I realized as Chan did that I really didn't know anyone who was "poor' or in need. Most of the people I knew were just like me and I wanted to change that. So as I prayed and began to seek I ended up volunteering at a ministry called Christian Ministry to Offenders at the Sedgwick County Jail. I am doing some office work but have also been to chapel with the inmates and Bible study. I am learning so much. But I wanted to share with you how this experience has opened my eyes to a few things. First of all, the director of CMO told me a statistic that i want to share. 75% of inmates who leave the jail will return for another crime. If a person gets involved in a church that number drops to 33%. If they are matched up with a mentor who walks through life with them the number drops to 1%. Yet because of various reasons many are leaving the jail and not finding either a church home or a mentor. I hope God will allow me to be part of a movement to change this. But I want us all to think. Could a man or woman walk out of jail and into our church and be welcomed and nurtured and loved? Or would we just smile and walk on by so as not to be disturbed on our way to all of our important church things we need to do. I know I am not here to bash on us as a church but think about it, how would your church receive someone who was a little rough in need of refining.
Second, as I was sitting in the chapel service one day I was hit by a realization. Every person sitting in that jail is someone's son or daughter, brother or sister. Each one was a small child who at some point because of various circumstances ended up making some bad decisions that landed them in jail. Really, even the worst of the worst is still someone's child. It is so easy to forget that and to just label people. Druggies, rapists, gang members. Yet God sees them as His children. I don't want to forget that.
I am thankful for the opportunity I have to serve there. God is going to use it to teach me so many things.
Thanks for sharing! That is so awesome. I'm glad you have a blog so we can keep up with you since we never see you guys anymore! We need to get together.
ReplyDelete