My granddad passed away Thursday night. It is hard to believe that I will never see him again. But I rejoice in the knowledge that he is with Jesus. He has battled Alzheimer's for years and now he is whole again. I didn't go and see him at the end and I am a little sad about that this morning. As a reflect on the title of my blog I see that sometimes I stay in my own little world and try to avoid anything that would bring me pain. I watched my grandma die at the end of her life and that was an experience I did not want to repeat. Right or wrong, I am a little sad this morning but also know that we had so many good times with granddad and I have many memories to cherish.
What legacy will I leave when I die? My grandparents were married for over 60 years. Not only did they stay married but they demonstrated what marriage looks like. When I got married my granddad told me that it takes three to make a marriage-husband, wife and Jesus. For years my grandparents worked with marriage encounter, an organization that worked to strengthen marriages. He was also a pastor and while my grandpa may not have been the most charismatic preacher-he had a heart for pastoring. He was caring and kind and showed love to all those around him. I don't know what the funeral will be like. I am not sure how many people are left in Hiawatha who know them. But I know he left a legacy of love and faith. We so often take it for granted-being raised in a Christian family. My grandpa had a farm pond-there are some pics on my facebook from there that was a place of peace and joy for us growing up. I am thankful for that gift also.
I am amazed to know that right now my grandpa, Walter Brant, is with Jesus and rejoicing in His glory. He loved Jesus and now he is face to face. Think about your legacy today. What will your grandkids write about you when you die? I pray God will use this put some perspective into my life and to continue to grow me out of my own little world.
No comments:
Post a Comment