I bought my niece a book for her birthday called Do Hard Things by Alex & Brett Harris. I was attracted to this book because it advertised itself as a "teenage rebellion against low expectations." The premise of the book is that being a teenager isn't a pass to be lazy and waste your life. These are years that are to be used as serving God and doing things that are hard, uncomfortable, or just not always fun. I purchased a copy for our family and I have been very convicted by this book. It has made me realize just how few hard things I do in my daily life. I have really settled into a lifestyle of comfort and ease in the last couple of years. Many times I think I deserve to live an "easy" life, now don't get me wrong, not everything in my life is easy, but I am comfortable. I don't talk to people that are out of my comfort zone. I have not really taken on anything challenging in the last two years. I often let things slip by in my children's behavior because I don't want to take the time and effort to first discipline then deal with the repercussions. With my husband going to school and my health issues last year, we really just went into survival mode. I realize that may have been a season but I believe God is bringing us out of that season. My health is much better and I have learned that you have to serve God and live life even if you don't always "feel" great. Eric is almost done with school and we will be able to close that chapter and move on to the next. I am ready to start doing some hard things. I wanted to share with you the list I made this morning in the hopes that it will encourage some of you. These are the hard things that I want to start doing.
1. Training my children-making this my priority, being consistent, setting definite goals then making a plan how to reach those goals.
2. Prayer-I seriously lack in this area. I want to rise early and simply spend time in prayer, not just Bible study but talking and listening to God.
3. Reaching out to others-talking to strangers, reaching outside my group at church, fulfilling the Great commission where I am at.
4. Being faithful in the little things-keeping up with chores and responsibilities around the house even when I don't feel like it.
5. Exercise-I believe that i need to be in shape and healthy to do the work God has called me to do.
This is where God is calling me to start. I want to be faithful to follow Him.
I am so with you. It is the simplest things that are the hardest to keep up with. Then I see it as an easy part of another's life and don't understand why I am not more disciplined. But...I can only keep trying to be all God wants from me.
ReplyDelete