Monday, January 24, 2011

I can't wait for spring.  I try not to complain too much but I really don't like winter or cold or snow.  I just keep thinking about summer and it being hot.  I would take 50 days of it being over 100 instead of just one day below 20.  One of the best things about spring is the grass and flowers.  Everything turns green, the flowers bloom, it is so beautiful.  Have you ever thought about what happens eventually to those flowers and grass.  Isaiah 40 tells us that the grass withers and the flower fades.  Every fall the grass dies and the flowers stop blooming.  Is. 40 tells us that people are like that too.  All of us are here for only a season and we will pass away.  Do you know what this chapter of the Bible says is the one thing that will last forever?  It is the word of God.  God's word stands forever.  Everything around us is fleeting and fading except God's word.  So then, if this is true, why do I invest so little of my time in the one thing that will last.  Sure I read my Bible every day and I do studies and I even try to memorize a little.  But the truth is that my thoughts and my schedule are consumed by a million other things than God's word.  I really, truly believe that this passage refers to God's word that He has given us in the Bible.  But I believe it goes even deeper than that.  I believe God still speaks to His children today through His Holy Spirit.  I believe that when God speaks something to you and you know it is Him that you can stand on it.  Remembering that God never speaks anything to us that is contrary with what His written word says. 
This being said I must confess that I have not stood on God's written word or His spoken word to me.  I have really lost some of that unwavering faith I had at one point.  God has spoken some things to me that have not come to pass the way I thought they would and I think at some point I stopped listening and believing.  If you can relate to me then I would encourage you and myself to take some time and listen and repent.  God's word does stand forever.  If God said it we can know it will happen.  But His ways are not our ways, they are so much higher.  I have to be able to stand without knowing exactly how or when His word will come to pass.  I trust my Father's heart.  I want my life to reflect that trust.  This spring remember the flowers are only going to be around for a little while, but God's word will be around forever.

2 comments:

  1. I love winter about as much as you do:) I long for Spring and Summer!!! I am so glad I am not the only one. Your blog is so encouraging, it makes me want to pick up the phone and call and tell you how I am struggling or encouraged or whatever by the same things you blog about! Love you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As my girls get older, their questions about Christianity get more complicated. BUT, it is reassuring to know that I can find answers to their questions in the Bible. It never fails me!

    (I thought my disdain for snow and cold weather was due to my age - apparently not!)

    ReplyDelete